Saturday, April 21, 2012

Resources for "Wilma Unlimited"

Wilma Unlimited is one my favorite children's books.  Her story weaves in a wide variety of critical themes to discuss in the classroom setting including: resilience, courage, optimism, and character.  The text is also contextualized with the undertones of racial segregation which is an important topic to explore with young people.  I am hosting a writing contest at our school that asks the children to write about their "Shero".  This word is not in the dictionary, but I wanted use a term that kids would catch onto easily.  I used the Wilma Unlimited book to model writing about my own personal "Shero".

There is an attachment included from one of my favorite sites, called The Best Children's Books.  I will be using those printables at the conclusion of the year.  I love the magazine cover idea... Check it out.
http://www.the-best-childrens-books.org/Wilma-Unlimited-ideas.html

Teachers, students, and blog visitors:  Post a comment about your Shero.

3 comments:

Lwills said...

I have five different Sheros that I truly admire.
1) My sister Wendi. She's a wonderful mother, doctor, and health rights activist.
2) My neice Samira. She's only a second grader, but she's an incredible big sister. Samira also loves to read history books! I am inspired by her imaginative, fearless spirit.
3) Of Course, my mom, who tells me to make decisions not for the woman that I am now but the woman I will become.
4) Nikki Grimes, a prolific African American author, who said "Easy doesn't interest me..."

Lwills said...

5) Last but not least... Wilma Rudolph. She rose above her physical pain, and used it to fuel her mental strength.

primary practice said...

Hi, just wanted to let you know I featured your new {great}little blog in a post today.

http://primarypractice.blogspot.com/2012/04/new-blog-finds.html