Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Phoenix

Cat Forsely said, "What we give our attention to – stays with us... What we let go of – will let go of us."
The Phoenix
(A Phoenix is a mythical bird who rises from its own ashes and needs to die in order to be reborn.  This is a story of a student-teacher relationship that caused a student to rise and change her self perception. )
By Jamela
     I taught Tanya during her fourth grade year.  She is now a fifth grade student who is performing on grade level, but below her potential.  Why is this?  She appeared to have a lack of motivation.  After I got to know her it became evident that she wanted to be successful but didn't know how.  She comes from a background that doesn't offer many academic role models.  Wealth and popularity are valued more than education.   As her teacher, I was charged with the task of getting her to understand that intelligence is an asset.  The biggest breakthrough I have made is that she now understands that school is not a place where you have to entertain your friends... that raising your hand to answer a question is more important than going to the office on a behavior referral.  Now as a fifth grader, she is so much closer to realizing her own greatness as a student because she has now internalized the importance of academic success.  She is no longer in the office but eagerly sitting at her desk yearning for new knowledge.
By Corrie
     I began working with "Tanya" in reading six weeks ago.  Through my conversations with her, I was easily able to tell that she is a very intelligent girl.  However, she was not performing well on her classwork or assessments.  I began my work with her by asking her about her interests and goals.  I came to understand that her self-perception was not very high and that the opinions of her peers mattered more to her than she was willing to admit.  She has been accused of bullying a few times this year, and, now that I know her, I believe these incidents occurred because of low self esteem and feeling "shot down" by those around her.  It took a few weeks before Tanya realized I that I am on her side and that I believe in her.  I've shared with her that I believe she has the gift of a brilliant mind, and because of that, she has much to share with the peers and adults in her life that is valuable and meaningful.  Her work in our reading group has been stellar and her writing is reflective and demonstrates strong comprehension of what she has been taught.
     Three weeks ago, she asked me if she could have lunch with me.  Since then, we've eaten together each week.  During this time, we listen to music and talk about her interests: friends, sports, her trepidation about upcoming middle school years.  A few days before our school’s midyear review, I met with Tanya to glean her views on what should be continued, adjusted, started, and stopped in fifth grade.  I explained to her that I chose her as my midyear review topic because I see her as a great success story who will make Woodbrook proud.  This conversation with her guided my thinking for our midyear review.  She shared her positive views on our math program and our reading time.  She expressed frustration about feeling that not all of her teachers welcome questions, and she told me that if she thinks she's going to get shot down, she will just choose not to ask questions.  THIS should guide our thinking as a PLC and as a student-centered school-- In order for all of our students to feel the intrinsic desire to learn, grow, and succeed, it is our JOB to provide a space where they feel safe and encouraged to take risks.  It is our JOB to teach UP to them, not DOWN to them.  It is our JOB to believe in our students' capabilities and put in place necessary supports to guide them to high levels of achievement.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I truly enjoyed reading both Corrie and Jamela's anecdote. Their collective stories humanized the plight of both students and teachers. Jamela, I am encouraged by your ability to pull out greatness in our students in such a compassionate way. Corrie, I am inspired by your ability to gain the trust of a student who seemed unreachable. As a second grade teacher, I don't always have the foresight to understand the challenges that preadolescent students face. This story has compelled me to continue to be proactive about instilling positive self-perceptions in our students... This is not an easy feat... One of my favorite children's authors, Nikki Grimes, said "Easy doesn't interest me..." I am reflecting on that quote today because the reward for more challenging teaching circumstances is far greater. Thank you for sharing your success story!